Fixing .com DNS glue records - who to contact?

Matthew Elvey matthew at elvey.com
Tue Aug 16 23:09:11 UTC 2005

//Hi, William!

william(at)elan.net wrote on Aug 16 :
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Matthew Elvey wrote:
>

>     A glue record for a .com domain (nextbus.com) is wrong, and I'm
>     running into a brick wall trying to get it fixed.
>     Do I need to switch to a more clueful registrar than GoDaddy**?
>     Contact Network Solutions?
>     Have I screwed up the domain's bind config? Everything looks right
>     when I _dig_ around the authoritative NS*..
>     I futzed with the record (deleted and re-added ns.nextbus.com as
>     an authoritative NS (nameserver(s))), and the glue became correct
>     for several days (dnsreport.com even reported all was well) AND
>     THEN WENT BACK TO BEING BROKEN AGAIN.

<digs showing correct results from my server and the wrong results from
a gTLD server snipped>
Yup, just as I kept saying to GoDaddy: The glue in the parent servers is
wrong.

> So the answer is that you need to make sure your own dns server "A"
> record for "ns.nextbus.com" matches glue record entered with registrar.
Right, but the registrar wasn't being cooperative.  I've changed glue
records with other registrars before (self-service - just fill in the IP
next to the name). I even remember emailing changes to NSI, back when
that was the procedure), but changing one with GoDaddy has proven, erm,
difficult.
> As far as what is going to be used by global dns, it would be glue
> record that you set with registrar (ok - its supposed to, but its
> not always true depending how caching dns server is written).
>
> BTW - when doing check make certain to use "+norecurse"
Ok... I'd be surprised if a gTLD server did a recursive query if asked.

>             I have tested your site and everything is resolving
>             properly. This error message you are getting is not on our
>             end.
>
> If the record you wanted for glue is 64.142.39.200 and godaddy did not
> fix it, then I suggest you find more cluefull registrar support person.

Ok, third time is a charm, I hope.  You'd think even the level 1 folks
would be trained to use dnsreport.com or something like it. (Boy, thanks
to the folks providing it!)   Note that I did specifically ask: "Please
have this issue reviewed by someone technical - someone who knows what
DNS glue is" and even included links to a definition, dnsreport.com,...

>     Thank you for contacting customer support. I have looked into this
>     situation and found that the domain name in question is not hosted
>     with us. This being the case you may wish to speak with your
>     hosting provider regarding the "glue" situation.
>
> The above is a red flag that the godaddy's "customer service representative"
> has no idea what "glue" means. Escalate to the real tech support.
Yup.  I did get a good laugh out of the comment.

=======
Boy, the results, which Jim posted, of "host 64.164.28.194" sure are
odd, though I get the same thing. (That IP is in space no longer ours.)

194.192.28.164.64.in-addr.arpa??? That's got 5 octets, not 4.  Not that I care what SBC does with rDNS for our old IP space...

But in general, I believe there's no need for a NS to have valid reverse
DNS.  (But it's still a good idea, and is usually needed for mail
servers...)
There's nothing keeping someone from setting up reverse DNS for any IP
delegated to them to be, say www.whitehouse.gov...