zotob - blocking tcp/445

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Tue Aug 16 20:02:43 UTC 2005

Randy Bush wrote:
>>Surely we realize that this discussion is not concerning the oft
>>repeated "Internet's Firewall" debate.
>>Its about containing a potential worm/virus outbreak. Call it a network
>>wide quarantine.
>

> surely you realize that this discussion is not about civil rights
> and the constitution, but about combatting terrorists.

To a level, it is.

Is combating terrorists bad? No one here would say no. Then it starts
getting complicated when you discuss the HOW.

Over-protecting by first saying "no" because you fear potential "how's"
is silly.

Fearing the HOW itself is legitimate.

Not every block is a censor, m'kay? Some censors are good - do you want
to see kiddie porn on TV? Let us not make this a freedom of speech
argument and go back to network issues.

You have say, 35K clients who will get infected in the next 2 days if
you don't block port 445. Are you going to block it or are you going to
let them get infected and infect others?

That or I am missing something.

	Gadi.