zotob - blocking tcp/445

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Tue Aug 16 14:20:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Joe Maimon wrote:

> Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, surfer at mauigateway.com wrote:
> >

> >>NetBIOS was never meant to be a WAN protocol, so no problem
> >>in blocking it.
> >

> > rule #1: do not be the Internet's Firewall
> > rule #2: see rule #1
> >
> Surely we realize that this discussion is not concerning the oft
> repeated "Internet's Firewall" debate.
>

> This is network self preservation. Otherwise the garbage will eventually
> suffocate us all.

and again I point to the above rules. What your network can't handle
'scanning wise' is completely different from what the network I work on
can handle.

If your network is being jeopardized by some level of scanning they fix
that, but that is a local decision. Blindly stating "large isps filter
port X" is just disingenuous, there are certainly cases as exceptions,
most of which end with the ISP in question saying: "Wow that was a lot
more painful than we thought originally:("