DSL Network Design Question

abuse at cabal.org.uk abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Aug 15 10:52:57 UTC 2005

Roy Badami <roy at gnomon.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
> Interesting, thanks. TBH, I really don't understand why Cisco have
> kept the classful support for this long...

When a friend was doing a CCNA back in 2003-ish, Cisco were still
teaching classful addressing. There was plenty of other misinformation
there. Apparently my home network is impossible to build with such few
IP addresses. (I use proxy ARP to avoid creating unnecessary subnets
of the already too small block I have.)

Meanwhile, RIPE's training sessions rap you on the knuckles for using
terms like "Class C" even though in a world of broken stacks from
Cisco and Microsoft, you pretty much need to know about it anyway.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key
/:.*posting.google.com.*/HX-Trace:+j