UUNET connectivity in Minneapolis, MN

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Aug 12 15:27:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:50:47 CDT, "James D. Butt" said:

> Unless there is some sort of crazy story related to why a service provider
> could not keep the lights on, this should have not been an issue with
> proper operations and engineering.

So a while ago, we're in the middle of some major construction to put in
infrastructure for a supercomputer.  Meanwhile, as an unrelated project we
installed a new diesel backup generator to replace an older generator that was
undersized for our current systems, and take several hours of downtime
on a Saturday to wire the beast in.

The next Friday, some contractors are moving the entrance to our machine room
about 30 feet to the right, so you don't walk into the middle of the
supercomputer.  Worker A starts moving a small red switch unit from its
location next to where the door used to be to its new location next to where
the door was going to be.  Unfortunately, he did it before double-checking with
Worker B that the small red switch was disarmed...

Ka-blammo, a Halon dump... and of course that's interlocked with the power,
so once the Halon stopped hissing, it was *very* quiet in there.....

Moral: It only takes one guy with a screwdriver.....