UUNET connectivity in Minneapolis, MN

James D. Butt jbutt at firecracker.com
Fri Aug 12 11:50:47 UTC 2005

I certainly understand why utility power goes out and that is the reason
why MCI loosing power confuses me.  I am pretty sure that someone at MCI
also realizes why the blackout happens and how fragile things are.

It is irresponsible for a Tier 1 infrastructure provider to not be able to
generate their own and have large chunks of their network fail do to the
inability to power it. I bet you every SBC CO in the affected area was
still pushing power out to customer prems.

Unless there is some sort of crazy story related to why a service provider
could not keep the lights on, this should have not been an issue with
proper operations and engineering.

JD