Providers that support prepending to specific remote AS's?

Charles Gucker cgucker at onesc.net
Fri Aug 12 02:32:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 08:06:09PM -0400, David Hubbard wrote:
> Hi all, I'd appreciate any on or offlist emails
> with the names of larger providers that allow
> you, through communities, to do prepending of
> your AS path to selected remote AS's.  We use two
> providers that allow this since we use the feature
> but am wanting to dump one of our providers who
> does not.

	I guess cutting to the chase here would be best.
I have been collecting BGP community guides for a number
of service providers who publically state their BGP
communities and their usage.  This would include your
desired abilities.

	You can find the collection at:
http://www.onesc.net/communities

	For a quick shameless plug, if anybody has additional
community guide locations, big or small, please let me know
offlist.

> Basically we have a customer within AS X and us
> and AS X both have transit through AS Y.  The link
> between AS Y and AS X is seriously overloaded so our
> customer is pretty much dead in the water since AS X
> is a countrywide monopoly telco for the country in
> question.  We've forced traffic to AS X to take
> a different route in but since we can't path prepend
> just to AS X through AS Y, we're stuck with the
> only solution being disable the link to AS Y or
> prepend to all of AS Y which we don't want to do.
> AS Y doesn't feel the need to help since their view
> is the customer of theirs has chosen to not upgrade
> the oversubscribed link.

	Hrm, sounds like you'd really make out from being
able to tell your upstream to surpress the announcements out
to that network, provided they aren't a customer of the
upstream that is ;-)   Keep in mind, if they are a customer
the communities, in most cases, will not the results you are
looking for.

charles