Real-time WHOIS for .COM

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Aug 10 16:11:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Is there some kind of real-time WHOIS for .COM (and friends) which
> allows you to determine at least the corresponding registrar?  This is
> helpful if you have to pull a delegation in order to mitigate a
> particular threat.

You can ask Verisign (NOT networksolutions) directly, but as far as I know
they do updates of whois once/day and it is not real time and no other
options are available. Note that registrar information should be current
in internic whois because registrar data can not be changed in real-time
and transfers are done once or twice a day (as far as I know, this may
have changed now too).

Best you can get is to do query using whois.completewhois.com since by
default our server will do both whois query to internic and dns query to
find current deligated dns servers. If they are different you will see
this info after nameserver saying "[from dns" where as whois nameserver
will be indicated with "[from whois". This can be helpful with some
domains that change nameservers often (domains used in phsh emails in
particular seem to be used this way).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks