IPv6 Address Planning

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Wed Aug 10 13:00:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

> on this side of the puddles, i think most folk use /126s for p2p links.
> this has been endlessly and loudly debated, but it still seems extremely
> strange to use 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses for a p2p link.

jumping in late :) with less than I'd like of v6 experience :) I think the
debate goes something like: "use /64 cause autoconf works!" (and it's in
the spec as 'lan' links get /64's) and the other half is your debate of 18
million billion addrs for a ptp sonet link is craziness (and wasteful) and
/126's work fine since we never autoconf things we are going to ping
monitor.

-chris