IPv6 Address Planning

Alexander Koch koch at tiscali.net
Wed Aug 10 07:02:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 9 August 2005 14:54:39 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> on this side of the puddles, i think most folk use /126s for p2p links.

I like /124 a lot. No need to argue, I think, but you can
apply it both on small Ethernet links as well as on p-t-p
links to customers over POS - one linknet size mostly fits
it all, especially if the customer wants some 5 to 10 hosts
only and play with it. /127 on POS links is no good...

Also I cannot help but like how it can be organised with a
brain that still works on IPv4 or so. 2^4 is 16, so ::zzx0
up to ::zzxf and, yeah, the next linknet is then ::zzy0 to
::zzyf, with y being just x+1.

It just seems strange that when establishing POS links with
an all- native v6 providers they won't do it as it *has* to
be /64. I hate this whole discussion just universally by
now.

Anyway, maybe someone could use that in any way. /124 may be
nice in some aspects.

Alexander