fcc ruling on dsl providers' access to infrastructure

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Aug 9 02:29:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:20:19PM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> Clearly this is a special situation where there is a natural monopoly
> given to whomever runs the wires. Maybe what we need is a certain class of
> company who will be responsible for running and maintaining the public
> data infrastructures. They could have lots of government regulations to
> ensure that they are charging a "fair" price while still being guaranteed
> a profit, and they could provide the last mile service for all those ISPs
> out there who are the ones that can actually compete and innovate. We
> could call them telcos, and... oh wait, nevermind.

I believe you've mispronounced:

municipalities.

Oh, wait: Congress wants to outlaw *that*, too.

Cheers,
-- jr 'Second American Revolution?' a
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me