Fiber cut in SJ

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 10:47:20 UTC 2005

On 8/8/05, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com <Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com> wrote:

> >  Eight or nine people I had
> > talked to thought they had geographically distinct
> > ring loops that turned out to be on that one cable
> > when the second cut took it down hard.
>
> Perhaps now people will begin to take physical separacy
> seriously and write grooming protocols and SLAs into
> their contracts?
>
> Or was this type of service "good enough"?

What was the actual cost of this outage to operators in SLA credits?
Perhaps it's just a function of economics: it's cheaper to plan for
the 3 fiber cuts per 1000 route miles per year (or whatever the silly
rate was I came across somewhere) and hand out credits than actually
engineer physical redundancy.

But seriously, has anyone quantified what this or similar cuts *actually cost*?

aaron.glenn