fcc ruling on dsl providers' access to infrastructure

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Mon Aug 8 07:42:22 UTC 2005

From: "Joe McGuckin" <joe at via.net>
Subject: Re: fcc ruling on dsl providers' access to infrastructure

> On 8/7/05 7:20 PM, "Richard A Steenbergen" <ras at e-gerbil.net> wrote:
>
>> Maybe what we need is a certain class of
>> company who will be responsible for running and maintaining the public
>> data infrastructures. They could have lots of government regulations to
>> ensure that they are charging a "fair" price while still being guaranteed
>> a profit, and they could provide the last mile service for all those ISPs
>> out there who are the ones that can actually compete and innovate.
>

> Yes, it's called structural separation.

Curious what others might think about this, assuming it's not snake-oil:

http://www.shorecliffcommunications.com/magazine/news.asp?news=4404

http://www.xgtechnology.com/plots.htm

Very low power and could be deployed right now in the unused adjacent-channel NTSC VHF spectrum.  VHF (and/or UHF) would seem to
solve many of the problems with "wireless"

--Michael