Fiber cut in SJ

Joe McGuckin joe at via.net
Mon Aug 8 00:25:55 UTC 2005

Stephen,

The point I'm trying to make is that over classifying everything as 'secret'
or 'confidential' at this late date is useless. The horse is already out of
the barn.

You can omit the site of a fiber backhoe accident from an email and say it's
due to security concerns, but I can call any telecom vendor who sells SONET
or metro ethernet services and get them to fax me a map of their network. At
the very minimum all I have to do is keep an eye out for USA markings on the
street. Or I could call USA and the next day people with paint cans would be
marking up the street, showing me exactly where to dig.

If someone wants to cause trouble, the information they need is freely
available. The so-called security provisions most telecom companies use are
just enough to deter curious teen-agers.

--

Joe McGuckin

ViaNet Communications
994 San Antonio Road