RFC for Mask/Gateway

Scott Altman staltman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:12:34 UTC 2005

Thanks to all who replied, actually 791 doesn't specify that a host
needs to implement these things; it lays out IP and how to use a
network mask / gateway.

RFC1122 (thanks to you off-listers) section 3.3.1.6 specifically
(using the RFC's famed "MUST" verbiage) states that a host use a
configurable subnet mask and default gateway.

Oh believe me, if I had a choice, we would have not put this stuff in.
 It's here already and we're just trying to work around it.  More
specifically tell the vendor to get their act together and be a good
network citizen.

Thanks all!

- Scott