/8 end user assignment?

Daniel Golding dgolding at burtongroup.com
Fri Aug 5 16:17:55 UTC 2005

On 8/4/05 4:46 PM, "Daniel Roesen" <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:

> Famous last words when driving down a long road towards a firm wall of
> concrete. You want to rush then? Do you wait for the pain to fully
> extend? I prefer orderly, planned, concious migrations, not a state of
> "uhm, we cannot get new IPv4 address space anymore, and the grey market
> prices for IPv4 space is skyrocketing... I cannot afford it anymore and
> our customers switch to ISPs who can still".
>
> I thing that things will become very very nasty when we not only see the
> wall on our map but actually see it coming quickly on the horizont and
> warning signs at the side of the road tell something about "last exit to
> IPv6 in x miles. Toll applicable.".

This is a good reason for every major service provider to request some IPv6
space, ensure that future equipment acquisitions support v6, and have
someone playing with it in the lab. Not a very good reason to deploy.

Why do so many v6 folks fill their arguments with notes of alarmism? Why
don't we just make an orderly migration when it is called for, rather than
using hyperbole to scare people?

Of course, making IPv4 a fungible commodity would help with this (yes, I'm a
broken record). When prices get too high, you know its time for v6.

--
Daniel Golding