/8 end user assignment?

Bruce Campbell bc-nanog at vicious.dropbear.id.au
Fri Aug 5 09:33:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

>> could you comment on christopher's observation that, given the likely
>> volume of v6 traffic, you would not have a v6 load worth balancing?

> Is there any particular reason why a service over IPv6 couldn't be load
> balanced by putting a good number of AAAA records in the DNS?

_Eventually_, DNS packet size and a desire to avoid truncation at that
level would stop you.  Nothing stopping you from having say 4 As and 3
AAAAs attached to one www record though.

Personally, I think that having two AAAA records will hold you in place
for long enough that vendors will catch up with decent AAAA load balancing
support, unless of course you get hit by the mythical IPv6 killer app in
the meantime.

--==--
Bruce.