/8 end user assignment?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Aug 5 08:54:36 UTC 2005

Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> will the v6 access really be enough to require LB's? or are they there for
> other reasons (global lb for content close to customers, regionalized
> content) perhaps reasons which would matter 'less' in an initial v6 world
> where you were getting the lb's fixed by their vendor? (or finding a
> vendor that supports v6 lb?)

I am a keyboard jockey for an international online retailer; I picked
our loadbalancer solution[0] because of the things it did other than
balancing load per se, including cacheing, tcp and ssl session
offloading, and content compression.  Yes, you could do much of this
with apache/mod_proxy but not 'as well'.

Until such devices support IPv6, to reiterate Steve's point, it's not an
option to consider approaching connectivity suppliers with IPv6 enquiries.

[0] Redline Networks E|X, now owned by Juniper of Borg.

-a