/8 end user assignment?

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Fri Aug 5 05:50:01 UTC 2005

On 4 Aug 2005, at 21:51, Simon Lyall wrote:

> Creating a seperate instance or path though all that for IPv6 is
> probably
> going to be hard if it is all setup for everything to go one way.

I know people who have set up such things using reverse proxies (listen
on v6 for query, relay request to v4 server farm via existing load
balancer). No need to touch the production v4 server infrastructure to
bring this live, although there's a need for a production AAAA record,
if you want to try it with real clients. There was a time when
www.isc.org was hosted on an OS which had no (or problematic, I forget)
v6 support, and that's how we did it.

With layer-2 load balancers and v6-capable servers, attaching the
service address to just one machine in the cluster might do the trick,
as a way of trying stuff out.

As has been mentioned, the likely load of v6 traffic is low. However,
experience with the growth characteristics would presumably trigger
business cases and requests to vendors if/when appropriate; no
experience means less opportunity to plan and budget. How do you
(proverbial, general, plural) really know what demand there is for v6
access to your services unless you turn it on and find out?

Joe