IOS new architechture will be more vulnerable?

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:49:43 UTC 2005

On 8/3/05, Saku Ytti <saku+nanog at ytti.fi> wrote:
>  You might want to read lynn-cisco.pdf. This means that today to
> exploit heap overflows you need to know the offsets per release, supposedly
> tomorrow the offsets will be static per releasese in new (in some terms better)
> architecture, which will make exploiting heap overflows much more feasible.

without getting *too* off topic...

...here's what the junior kernel hacker in me doesn't quite understand
- doesn't software like ProPolice and it's brethren mitigate this type
of vulnerability specifically? What, precisely, prevents Cisco from
implementing such code in with their architecture?

aaron.glenn