Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Apr 30 21:34:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 03:07:47AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > Sound about right?
> No, not at all.
>
> I'm not advocating a wild west every man for himself, but, I think that
> solving end-node oriented problems at the transport layer is equally
> absurd.
>
> It's like expecting to be able to throw crude oil into a tanker at
> one end and demanding that the trucker deliver gasoline at the other.

Owen, I may be wrong... but it sounds to me like half the people in this
conversation are talking about things *the retail gas station ought to
do*, assuming that the people on the other side realize this, and the
other side is reacting as if the first group is advocating that
*refineries and pipeline operators* ought to be doing those things.

Certainly backbone ops shouldn't be doing this sort of filtering, and
if you're big enough and willing to pay enough, you ought to be able to
get a hose free of such filters.

But *what you're paying for* there is the right to pollute the commons,
and no, people paying $1/MB's for their Verizon FTTH connection
probably ought not to expect a raw unfiltered connection.

It's not *just* about bandwidth...

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me