Internet impact of Apple Tiger

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Apr 30 03:52:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:29:05 +0200, Florian Weimer said:

> Ahem, I would expect that people *pay* Apple for inclusion in the
> default RSS list.  Why should they be concerned by the extra
> bandwidth?

A company that paid for 500K more eyeballs may get surprised if Tiger is
a huge hit and 5M eyeballs all show up at 3 minutes past the hour.

Fortunately, not everybody will install it the first 12 hours, so there
should be enough ramp-up time so the sites (which presumably have plenty
of spare kloo) will have time to make arrangements for the slashdotting..

Personally, I'd be surprised indeed if it makes more of a blip than Microsoft's
auto-update right after Patch Tuesday goes out each month, and I've heard naught
on here saying that *that* is an issue...