Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Apr 29 23:48:17 UTC 2005

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0504291735310.2745-100000 at amethyst.justthe.net> you write:

>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Miller, Mark wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, a lot of static "business" DSL IP space is still on
>> those lists and legitimate mail servers can get blocked.  I usually use
>> the DUL as a "white list" to negate hits on the traditional dnsbls since
>> those are almost always stale.
>
><assertion type="applies to USA, don't know about other countries"> That's
>because the ILECs, especially, don't feel the need to separate IPs on
>which servers are allowed, and IPs on which they aren't. SBC is the worst
>in this regard. No separation, no custom reverse DNS for DSL customers, no
>way to be absolutely certain if sending mail from a specific IP is a
>violation of SBC's TOS. </assertion>
>
>I've noticed that you work for Qwest. If the people designing your network
>DO have enough clue to separate IPs, bravo... but my experience is that
>many ISPs, especially ILECs/RBOCs, don't.
>
>--
>JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
>Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol at JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
>"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
>    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

	Well OptusNet's cable ranges are in the DUL despite OptusNet
	filtering outbound 25 by default.  You can get port 25
	outbound opened on request but it doesn't do you any good
	when you are listed in the DUL.

	It doesn't matter if the address belongs to a business or
	a residential user.  Everyone has the right to send email
	directly.

	As far as I can see the only reason for DUL existing is
	that ISP's are too slow at reacting to abuse reports and /
	or fail to send messages to say what action they took.
	People got feed up with abuse@* being a blackhole from which
	they if they were lucky got an automatic acknowledgement
	of the messages.

	In the end people reacted the way you would expect them to
	react when that perceive that they are being ignored.  They
	stopped reporting and turned to other means (DUL, SpamAssassin,
	etc.).

	Mark