PAIX Outages

Alexander Koch koch at tiscali.net
Fri Apr 29 12:31:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 April 2005 13:24:06 +0100, Brandon Butterworth wrote:
> > With public peering you simply never know how much spare
> > capacity your peer has free.
>
> So? That doesn't make public peering bad, you don't know that
> for PI or transit either

For PI I know how much spare I have towards them, taking for
granted they can move the traffic. Which is the case in 99%
for all our peers currently that we have privates with. And
they can better move the traffic... and if not one tells the
other normally and things can be done.

> > And would you expect your
> > peer with 400 Mbit/s total to have 400 reserved on his AMSIX
> > port for you when you see 300 at LINX and LINX goes down?
>
> Yes and more fool you if they have and you haven't

This was not about 'my' or 'our' side, believe me...

Alexander