FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri Apr 29 11:03:15 UTC 2005

> Who exactly will I be talking to when I dial 911 from an internet cafe
> in Puerto Vallarta through my Virgina VOIP account with a California
> Billing address?

Even more interesting, what if you have a heart attack and a
helpful local picks up your phone and dials 060? Normally,
in Puerto Vallarta this is the emergency number. Or perhaps
the helpful person is a tourist who knows that the worldwide
standard for cellular emergency numbers is to dial 112.
What will happen then with your mobile SIP phone?

--Michael Dillon

P.S. in England, you would dial 999. In Australia you
would dial 000. And in Russia you would dial 01 for the
fire service, 02 for police or 03 for ambulance.