PAIX Outages

Alexander Koch koch at tiscali.net
Fri Apr 29 06:33:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 April 2005 18:57:53 -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> At the moment, the US IX's largely price their ports as high as the market
> will possibly bear (and then sometimes a few bucks more just as a kick in
> the teeth)

Yeah, what's the issue? US public peering ports are absurdly
overpriced. Anyone had a laugh at the PAIX list prices when
seeing them first? Considering LINX and AMSIX are their own
companies for some years now they are doing an excellent job
at being (too?) affordable, but it surely works. Then when I
think about the NYIIX woes some time ago and other stuff
(like the current PAIX trouble) I cannot help but get rid of
public peering, especially in the US.

As another matter I do not believe in public peering at all
when you have flows to a single peer that are ore than half
of a full GE. Been there, was not at all nice. I guess more
and more operators will have less and less public IX ports,
and the open peering coalition will start wondering at some
point... The AMSIX has a lot of 10G peers. While they just
take two ports, and the AMSIX supposedly also being redundant
(and cheap <g>) it is just a time- bomb. How many times did
either LINX or AMSIX had issues (actually very rare!) and we
happily overloaded our peers' interfaces at the respective
other IX... Say what you want, but public peering (yes/no)
has a lot to do with your amount of traffic, and your peers.

Paying 3 to 4 times as much in the US for the very same I am
sure I get even less value - and I'm pulling out.

(Well, since we stumbled about this topic... thanks, ras!)

Alexander