Internet email performance study

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Thu Apr 28 22:05:55 UTC 2005

aljuhani wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:42, Robert Beverly" <rbeverly at rbeverly.net>
>
> ......snip
>
>>Yes, our SMTP greetings are valid and up to spec.  Again, it's the
>>non-deterministic loss that we're most concerned about.  If there
>>were a problem with the SMTP exchange, we would see our emails
>>always rejected (for instance).  Our measurement study only includes
>>emails that were successfully delivered (indicated by a complete
>>series of successful status codes returned during SMTP exchange).
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>
>>rob
>

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps this explains it.
 >
> http://www.albury.net.au/netstatus/derouted.html

No, it doesn't. Please read their paper. In the paper and as he stated
again in the response above, their definition of a "loss" requires the
message to be delivered successfully in the first place. The anti-spam
measure described in the above URL causes the remote MTA to not accept
mail at all from the blocked source. This would not be counted as a loss
in their methodology, but possibly as an "error."

> BTW your subnet (18.0.0.0/8) is listed there as well.

I don't see it there. And those are not censures of the entire /8 networks,
but just a list of how many individual hosts in that network are currently
blocked.
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387