Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 28 21:50:52 UTC 2005

> If they did their support costs would explode. It is block the customer,
> educate the customer why they were blocked, exterminate the customers PC,
> unblock the customer. No doubt there'll be a repeat of the same in short
> time.

On a cost basis, it should be:

	+	block the customer
	+	Explain to the customer why they were blocked

Customer should be responsible for getting their PC exterminated, although
enterprising ISPs could offer this service for a fee.  Finally, it would not
be unreasonable to impose a reconnect fee.  For that matter, if ISPs wrote
contracts appropriately, there could be a disconnect fee for abuse as well.

Owen