Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Thu Apr 28 14:01:26 UTC 2005

> As somebody who picked a DSL provider specifically because it allows me to
> run any kind of server I want, I'm not highly in favor of blocking
> traffic from broadband users and killing the end-to-end principle that
> makes the Internet work,

When I sign up for an internet account, does the fine print say that I am
to accept all garbage pouring out of the RJ-45...? Why should it be the
recipients job to filter all incoming traffic?

When my PC grabs an IP address, I'd expect to see zero traffic from the
world unless I make a request for content. Only then should I see traffic
and only the content I requested.

Adi