Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 28 04:55:11 UTC 2005

> What's rDNS for the ip address(es) assigned to you?

I don't know about him, but, on my ADSL connection, it is controlled
by my nameservers:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
10.159.192.in-addr.arpa. 86400  IN      NS      ns.rop.edu.
10.159.192.in-addr.arpa. 86400  IN      NS      ns.delong.sj.ca.us.

>> I'm not highly in favor of blocking
>> traffic from broadband users
>> and killing the end-to-end principle that makes the Internet work,
>
> I'm not in favor of mindless blocking of entire netblocks that may
> contain stuff that should not be blocked, but broadband providers are
> notorious for (e.g.) lumping residential customers that can be blocked,
> with no collateral damage, in the same netblocks as business customers
> who need to run Internet facing servers, and (e.g.) not providing an easy
> way to differentiate between the two classes of customer in the first
> place.

Who are you to decide that there is no damage to blocking residential
customers?  I'm a residential customer, but, I have a number of
servers running, and, a port 25 block would be very destructive to
the operation of my mailserver.  Why should an ISP decide what a residential
customer can or can't do with their internet connection.  (This is not
an advocation for abandoning TOS or allowing abuse.  I am talking about
within the confines of legitimate internet use, such as hosting a web
site (or even several), running nameservers, mail server(s), etc.)

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.