Paul Wilson and Geoff Huston of APNIC on IP address allocation ITU v/s ICANN etc

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Apr 27 20:52:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:41:07AM -1000, Scott Weeks wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Randy Bush wrote:
>
> : > Probably, I'll have to research through the ITU site to find out this
> : > information, but surely these arguments have been presented to the ITU
> : > while they're making their choice of how to proceed with IP address
> : > allocation.
> :
> : and arguments were presented to bolton that his cuban/syrian/... agenda
> : was not supported by reality.  did that change his agenda?
> :
> : the itu: bridge building across the digital divide by the same folk who
> : brought us the analog divide.  and if you believe the'll do it, then i
> : have this bridge ...
>

> No, I don't believe they'll do it correctly.  I was just wondering why
> they'd chose to do it the "national allocation" way when good arguments
> are presented that it'd only disrupt things.  I thought they may have a
> good reason, but evidently it's just not true.  It's just more
> bureaucratic ignorance of what is being legislated.  I'll just start
> reading the site's info before resopnding further.  I thought someone here
> might point me in a direction where I could get to the info faster.
>
> I replied to the list as IP addressing is so central to network operations
> and the 2 references were also posted here.  I may have made a mistake.  I
> know how these things slide off topic faster than a greased pig on a
> plastic sheet on a steep hillside.  ;-)
>
> scott

	Scott, it pays to understand tht the ITU has -zero- interest
	in actual operations.  They do what their members tell them
	and the only entities that can be members are nations/governments.
	Hence the stated desire for "national allocations" as a way to
	re-enforce national pride.  Operational networking is not a goal,
	"equity of resource distribution" is.  No well reasoned
	argument (such as Paul & Geoff's)  can make any substantive impact,
	excep;t to the extent that we (you/me) can beat our respective
	government representatives into understanding that "WE" want
	things a certain way (working) and would they -please- cooperate
	with their citizens and not pander so some special interests.

	and yes, i am biased here - do your own research and make up your
	own mind.

--bill