Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Apr 27 12:06:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> I've been there -- I know how I feel about it -- but I'd love
> to know how ISP operations folk feel about this.

Of course Bruce Schneider is going to allocate ISP's handling security so
he can sell them more of his crappy Counterpane products. I find it
offensive that Mr. Schneider would categorize ISPs as lazy and
unresponsible, and it does nothing but encourage me to sell anything BUT
Counterpane to my customers.

Our customers vary greatly, and their security needs differ just as much.
There is no one stop solution for every customer, and it is not the ISP's
responsibility to filter traffic and firewall their customers. Those that
do invariable end up with trouble.

                             KP-216-121-ST