clarity

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Apr 27 10:50:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Yes, most water transit companies are also the water supply company,

Water supply comes from rivers, lakes, etc. While water company take
water from those sources, they do not produce it and just take what they
can get, clean it up and then deliver around the city.

> but, in my analogy, and, in some areas, as a matter of fact, they are
> not the same. The chemical tampering of which you speak is done by the
> water supply company at the supply point before it is put in the pipes
> for transit to the end user.

I've heard that Israel is considering (or buying already?) water from
Turkey. Do you really think they are going to just deliver it as is
or do you think the water company will clean it up on the local level
before delivering it to the homes?

And BTW - you do realize "contamination" on the Internet usually at the
source, right?

> The water delivery company runs said pipes, and, my expectation from them
> is that they deliver what they got from the water supply company without
> any additional contaminants.

If the water supply was contaminated, I'd fully expect water delivery
company to clean it up before delivering to me.

> Think of the web hoster as a water supply company.  The household user
> is an end user.  The ISP is merely a pipeline.

In any case, I don't think this is quite the correct analogy.

Water company usually delivers from just one (ok, maybe not one for larger
areas but its in lower tens order) source and have typically control
(directly or indirectly with signed agreement) over the source.

If you want to compare this to ISP, it would be like me having peering
agreement and direct connection with few dozen content providers
and only giving access to users to those few dozen websites.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net