Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 09:41:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Jerry Pasker wrote:

> >I've been there -- I know how I feel about it -- but I'd love to know how ISP
> >operations folk feel about this.
>
> It means 10 different things to 10 different people.  The article was

yep, and the danger is you agree with the article and some politicians or
journalists think you are advocating a full police service which would be bad.

i do think we have an obligation to try to keep the net clean to a certain
degree, think anti-ddos wg's etc but providing full security for all users is
unrealistic. there seems to be some moves to offering partial security and this
is probably a good thing eg blocking common ms ports will likely be effective.

Steve