Internet2

Scott Call scall at devolution.com
Tue Apr 26 21:05:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> What is "internet2 speed"? As far as I can see Internet2 is a 10G based
> national network. What is so special about that in this day and age?

I think the difference is the average connection speeds of the "end users"
of the network.  It's not at all uncommon today for a provider with a 10G+
backbone to have 100Mbs or less average connection speed, whereas I2 end
users are often on campus networks at gig-E or faster.

So the speeds mentioned are the realized speeds in p2p and malware
spreading applications, or at least that is my assumption based on the
original poster's question.