using TCP53 for DNS

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Apr 26 16:39:09 UTC 2005

In the thread about ns*.worldnic.com, many people were complaining
about DNS responses/queries on TCP port 53.

At least one DoS mitigation box uses TCP53 to "protect" name
servers.  Personally I thought this was a pretty slick trick, but it
appears to have caused a lot of problems.  From the thread (certainly
not a scientific sampling), many people seem to be filtering port 53
TCP to their name servers.

Is this common?  Does anyone have stats on this (roots, GTLDs, other
big name server farms)?  Perhaps people could send what they do
personally and I can summarize for this list.  (Again, not a
scientific sampling method, but better than trying to read into what
people imply in a long, and probably not-well-read thread.)

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. Sorry to post operational content, I know how everyone hates
that. =)