Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Tue Apr 26 13:58:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

> lots of folk sent email to me and not the list.  most report
> worldnic responding with tcp 53 and not udp.  would love to
> hear confirmation on list.  can think of a number of causes,
> one possible, but just a stab in the dark, would be an
> intentional hack as a defense to a spoofed-ip attack.
>
> what are some names known to be hosted on worldnic?

we had problems reported with:

www.calairmail.com
www.holidaycardwebsite.com

I did some poking around lastnight with dig and some local unix hosts that
I hadn't tried this before on and got no change to tcp :( (so no truncate
and returned results via UDP) though today I see:

morrowc at iad1-srv02:~$ dig www.holidaycardwebsite.com. @ns7.worldnic.com
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

and failures (which is PROBABLY my silly iptables config...)

morrowc at iad1-srv02:~$ dig www.holidaycardwebsite.com. @ns8.worldnic.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2rc1 <<>> www.holidaycardwebsite.com. @ns8.worldnic.com
;; global options:  printcmd

interesting that both servers aren't doing the same thing?