Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Tue Apr 26 08:14:28 UTC 2005

Have to say we see no issues here with the worldnic.com nameservers, other
than they appear to be located on the same physical network.

I think people should post queries that fail, including date/time, and full
"dig" output for that query from the server they used, and the version of
recursive nameserver used. Otherwise it is purely speculative guess work to
figure out if it is a DNS delegation issue, or something else (network
congestion?).

No one should be surprised that a DNS request may be truncated and switched to
TCP, that is in the RFCs. Although the servers in question run BIND9 so
presumably support EDNS0, which suggests those seeing truncation may be
running rather old code, or unusual recursive resolvers.

The worldnic.com and worldnic.net appear to use the YYYYMMDDVV convention for
SOA serial numbers, and so it would appear nothing has changed their end in
terms of zone data for at least five months in terms of zone file settings.

All looks rosy from here.