Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

Jerry Pasker info at n-connect.net
Tue Apr 26 06:14:28 UTC 2005

>something *very* strange is going on.  the worldnic servers have
>been giving delayed or no results for days now.  and nsi is hoping
>we and the wsj/nyt won't notice.

I agree 100%.

>but it's probably time for us all to dump symptoms here and figure
>it out as a community, as the dog with the bone ain't 'fessing up.
>
>randy

I'll bite.

I couldn't resolve ns*.worldnic.com domains until I finally bit the
bullet, and unblocked port 53 TCP from my DNS server.  Then it worked
fine. (after a few tries)  I'm using BIND 9.2.4 without the eye pee
vee six stuff compiled in.  Because I don't want to start something;
No discussion about me blocking port 53, ok?  I got tired of gobs of
log files of script kiddies trying to download my domains 5 years
ago... I actually READ my logs.... besides, I had to keep the linux
boxes safe from the tyranny of bind 8 until they got upgraded.  :-)

-Jerry