Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Mon Apr 25 23:15:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Graeme Clark wrote:

> >I saw some mention of this in a previous thread.  Is anyone else still
> >experiencing problems?  We're seeing general slowness and the use of the
> >truncate bit in responses, forcing to TCP mode.
>

> We're still having a wack of issues with all names on NSI nameservers. Poking around at other service provider nameservers out there I'm amazed at how many places things are still resolving, something to be said for ignoring DNS TTLs. :) It's been over 3 days now, so I think I'm going to move what I've still got left with them somewhere else.
>
> I'm getting a roughly 10% response rate from their nameservers, and that's probably optimisticly high.

it may help 'other operators' and 'nsi' to know which servers you can NOT
resolve from, and which cache/recursive hosts are asking
ns<blah>.worldnic.com for the particular domains.

So:

I am at 128.2.35.50, I asked cache00.ns.uu.net for a domain on both:
ns5.worldnic.com and ns25.worldnic.com and got no response :(

(as a simple for instance, this may help others know they are not alone in
their problems, and the NSI folks might know which askers and answers are
still unhappy with each other)