Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sat Apr 23 20:13:22 UTC 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Been happening for many years.  How do you think the original
> Boardwatch / Keynote speed tests were gamed?  If you have any real
> experience on the Internet, you are well acquainted with anycast web
> servers.

Gaming speed tests sounds pretty rare.  It doesn't appear that Akamai does
this, but maybe I'm wrong.  But it would depend on having unique paths.
And it violates RFC 1546, as previously explained.

> Okie, I give up.  You clearly have no idea what you are actually
> talking about, so talk away, no one is listening.

Yes, _You_ clearly aren't listening. Which is the problem.

Your cannard of "Its been done (in an archaic environment)" has no bearing
on anything.  The whole point is that environment is changing, and so
hacks that used to be done, hacks that even RFC 1546 anticipated and
warned against, won't continue to work in the future.

I'm reminded of the arguments in the late 80's about threading:  People
(like you) said there are no multithreading operating systems, and
multiprocessor systems existed only in labs.  So designing threadsafe
libraries or writing multithreading capable languages was a total waste of
time.  And they showed as evidence all the programs written from 1975 to
1985.

> One last comment (although I doubt you will understand): Reality
> trumps... well, you.

Reality trumps alright.  But you won't understand that. "Past performance
is no guarantee of future performane" Let me guess: You're one of those
people who won't be concerned about global warming until they need waders
to walk around Manhatten at high tide.  Then you'll go "Gee, where'd all
this water come from? Why didn't someone say that the ice caps were
melting?"

Well, PPLB isn't the end of the world. But PPLB is coming, and the smart
people will be prepared for it.  They dumb people, well, they're dumb.
What can be expected from dumb people?

617 344 9000