Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sat Apr 23 03:20:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:
>
> >> Or don't.  No one here cares if you do.  Reality trumps lab tests.
> >
> > "Reality" for the last ten years has been that no one did either
> > PPLB or
> > TCP DNS. That reality is changing. It'll probably start to change
> > faster,
> > sooner. Then, users will start to notice the problems.
>
> People have been using TCP applications on anycast for at least a
> decade, as I mentioned before.  Since DNS responses tend to be very
> short lived TCP session, it seems to me that if it works for other
> applications (e.g. HTTP), it should work for DNS.

Its funny how I give you TWO conditions, and you ignore one of them. I'll
try to use little tiny baby words:

    TCP Anycast does NOT work with PPLB (Per - packet - load - balancing)
    Say it slowly several times.

> Either way, reality still trumps lab tests, or mailing lists posts.
> Since it has worked, and continues to work, in _THE REAL WORLD_ for
> TCP applications much longer lived than DNS, I suggest that your
> assertion that "users will start to notice the problems" is
> incorrect.  Of course, time will tell which of us is correct.
>
> Maybe I'm insane.  Or maybe you are.   Although I think time has
> already told which of us is....

Yes, indeed, it has.  I've been vindicated on a number of issues on a
number of subjects. You?

617 344 9000