Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Apr 20 19:47:46 UTC 2005

On Apr 20, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:

>> Or don't.  No one here cares if you do.  Reality trumps lab tests.
>
> "Reality" for the last ten years has been that no one did either
> PPLB or
> TCP DNS. That reality is changing. It'll probably start to change
> faster,
> sooner. Then, users will start to notice the problems.

People have been using TCP applications on anycast for at least a
decade, as I mentioned before.  Since DNS responses tend to be very
short lived TCP session, it seems to me that if it works for other
applications (e.g. HTTP), it should work for DNS.

Either way, reality still trumps lab tests, or mailing lists posts.
Since it has worked, and continues to work, in _THE REAL WORLD_ for
TCP applications much longer lived than DNS, I suggest that your
assertion that "users will start to notice the problems" is
incorrect.  Of course, time will tell which of us is correct.

Maybe I'm insane.  Or maybe you are.   Although I think time has
already told which of us is....

--
TTFN,
patrick