cost of doing business

Thomas Kernen tkernen at deckpoint.ch
Tue Apr 19 13:46:58 UTC 2005

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the links and papers, actually I didn't want to expand into
Zipf's law on NANOG, I felt it would be a little OT for most people.
In parallel to the "multicast patching" I mentioned before I'm also
indirectly involved in the design of a P2P distribution model using the
customers STB hard drive as part of the content source, ie: if you request a
VOD content that other users connected to the same POP (or whatever your
metric is) those STBs will be potential sources for providing the content to
the end user who just requested it.

I personally don't feel this is the way to go based on the current
discussions with content owners who seem to prefer models where they don't
have to trust the end user's STB since in the short/medium/long run this
can't be considered a secure device (too many students with too much time)
and therefore would like everything to be sourced from the SP's network or
even better from their infrastructure, in the same way this is done with
inter-domain multicast for live TV content from those same content
providers.

Thomas