Jonathan Yarden @ TechRepublic: Disable DNS caching on workstations

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:05:20 UTC 2005

On 4/18/05, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> It would be very interesting in seeing the difference in DNS traffic for a
> domain if it sets TTL to let's say 600 seconds or 86400 seconds. This
> could perhaps be used as a metric in trying to figure out the impact of
> capping the TTL? Anyone know if anyone did this on a large domain and have
> some data to share?

Our first foray into DNS was using a DNS server that defaulted to
86400 for new entries..  Not being seasoned, we left this alone..
Unfortunately, I don't have any hard data from that dark time in our
past..

Windows 2000 DNS seems to set the ttl to 3600, which is a tad on the
low side, I think...  At least for mostly-static domains, anyways.
But I believe the reasoning there was that they depended heavily on
dynamic dns..

> If one had to repeate the cache poisoning every 10 minutes I guess life
> would be much harder than if you had to do it once every day?

I dunno..  how hard is it to poison a cache?  :)

> --

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0 at gmail.com