Jonathan Yarden @ TechRepublic: Disable DNS caching on workstations

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Apr 18 17:50:35 UTC 2005

On Apr 18, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Chris Adams wrote:

>> Can you imagine what would happen if every time anyone ever looked up
>> any hostname they sent out a DNS query?
>
> That's what most Unix/Linux/*BSD boxes do unless they are running a
> local caching name service of some time (BIND, nscd, etc.).  I wasn't
> actually aware that Windows had a DNS cache service.

Open a web browser, go to "foo.bar.com" for some hostname you own.
Change the record on the authoritative server and clear the cache on
the recursive NS.  Reload the page.  See if the browser goes to the
new IP.

Most desktop OSes do not re-query for the name again.

Sometimes this is a browser issue.  Sometimes it is an OS issue.
Depends on too many variables to which, or both, is at fault in general.

--
TTFN,
patrick