N+? redundancy

sgorman1 at gmu.edu sgorman1 at gmu.edu
Mon Apr 18 16:07:06 UTC 2005

Not necessarily.  The number of paths in a city often has little to do with the providers and how many paths they would like offer, or at least did when they had the money to build.  Many times the contraint is not demand but the zoning laws on where paths can be laid.  Even if a client demanded and was willing to pay for the diverse paths there can be none available.  Thus some times providers simply don't tell what the physical pathways are because they can be no different than the ones the prospective client is already using.  Quite simply it is not a problem that the market can solve on its own because the market does not completely own the problem, state and municiple authorities also have a large piece of the game.  The number of paths varies widely between cities, and has little to do with demand in those cities for diversity or how critical they might be to the nation as a whole.