cost of doing business

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Apr 18 15:33:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2005, at 13:54, Andrew Odlyzko wrote:
>
>> We are talking of two different things here, traffic versus access
>> bandwidth.
>> It will be a while before the average household generates 5 megabit/s
>> traffic.
>
> I don't think that's true. I have seen bittorrent clients running on machines
> that have good connectivity (>>typical North American residential; say 100M
> access to a data centre on the east coast). With only moderately-popular
> torrents (think fan movies like fanimatrix or starship exeter, a week or so
> after the slashdot effect has died down) such a client can easily seed at
> 10-20Mbit/s.

Yes yes, it's of course technically possible. It's no problem to saturate
a 100M either if you have a decent computer.

Still, if you take 10.000 random consumers with 10M/10M pipes you'll see
that this population as a whole only has an average peak of a few hundred
kilobits/s per user. A few percent will do 5-10M sustained a lot of the
time, but a lot of them will be totally quiet most of the time.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se