Service providers that NAT their whole network?

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Mon Apr 18 09:05:28 UTC 2005

A lot of european mobile providers do this, as they're evolving from
addressing their own network and GPRS into 3G and "proper" internet access,
if you will.

Internet
jra at baylink.com@merit.edu - 15/04/2005 20:43

Sent by:    owner-nanog at merit.edu

To:    nanog

cc:

Subject:    Re: Service providers that NAT their whole network?

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 03:39:56PM -0400, Philip Matthews wrote:
> A number of IETF documents(*) state that there are some service providers
> that place a NAT box in front of their entire network, so all their
> customers get private addresses rather than public address.
> It is often stated that these are primarily cable-based providers.
>
> I am trying to get a handle on how common this practice is.
> No one that I have asked seems to know any provider that does this,
> and a search of a few FAQs plus about an hour of Googling hasn't
> turned up anything definite (but maybe I am using the wrong keywords
...).

> Can anyone give me some names of providers that do this?

Rose.net, the municipal provider in Thomasville GA.  They'll assign you
a fixed public address which can be gotten back through if you ask, for
extra money, but your interface address will still be in 1918 space.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth
jra at baylink.com
Designer                          Baylink                             RFC
2100
Ashworth & Associates        The Things I Think                        '87
e24
St Petersburg FL USA      http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647
1274

       If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.