cost of doing business (was:Re: OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Apr 17 08:17:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Mike Leber wrote:

> Hmmmm, router and optical gear capabilities are growing faster than the
> market.  Can you say "permanent state of affairs".

Do you have any facts to back up this statement, as I am of another
opinion. We're seeing doubling in traffic growth each year and the optics
seem to quadruple every 3-4 years.

Of course if equipment cost goes up the vendors will have more resources
to make more expensive gear, but I believe the price per bit has to come
down rather than the opposite.

> moores law > market growth

Well, speaking of that, the performance increase in harddrives and CPUs
seem to have degenerated over the past year and the hefty price per bit
decrease in harddrive space we saw 1999-2003 seem to have stopped in 2004.

> A better (healthier? more sane?) metric is revenue per customer.

Increase in usage is of course driven by the price of bandwidth going
down.

Let's say for the sake of argument that by 2010 we want to give every
household 5 megabit/s on average. How could this be done with technology
today seen on the radar? Remember that the households should want to pay
for the bandwidth as well, meaning they might be willing to pay $30 per
month for the bandwidth part (this is kind of high, but let's go with it).
5 megabit/s at $30 is $6 per meg, with no oversubscription. It also means
that for a large city with a million households we need to shuffle around
1M*5M=5Tbit/s in that city alone. We probably need 10Tb national backbone
to handle it, how do you do that with 40G or 100G links? That's a lot of
parallell DWDM links :/

So the distributed p2p networks of the future will probably have to wait,
and instead we'll do regular 1-many broadcasting via these networks and
we'll be an interactive cable TV distribution instead.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se